General discussion about Plugins for Cacti

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

marat

Cacti 1.2.22 + Weathermap 0.98a issue

Post by marat »

Can anyone show me a way to solve this issue:

Code: Select all

2022-09-19 17:09:57 - CMDPHP ERRORS DETECTED - DISABLING PLUGIN 'weathermap'
2022-09-19 17:09:57 - CMDPHP PHP ERROR Backtrace: (CactiShutdownHandler())
2022-09-19 17:09:57 - ERROR PHP ERROR in Plugin 'weathermap': Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function html_graph_start_box() in /var/www/html/plugins/weathermap/weathermap-cacti-plugin.php:427 Stack trace: #0 /var/www/html/plugins/weathermap/weathermap-cacti-plugin.php(293): weathermap_thumbview() #1 {main} thrown in file: /var/www/html/plugins/weathermap/weathermap-cacti-plugin.php on line: 427
Installation:
Ubuntu 20.04

root@cactitest:/var/www/html/plugins# uname -a
Linux cactitest 5.4.0-125-generic #141-Ubuntu SMP Wed Aug 10 13:42:03 UTC 2022 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
root@cactitest:/var/www/html/plugins# cat /etc/os-release
NAME="Ubuntu"
VERSION="20.04.5 LTS (Focal Fossa)"
ID=ubuntu
ID_LIKE=debian
PRETTY_NAME="Ubuntu 20.04.5 LTS"
VERSION_ID="20.04"
HOME_URL="https://www.ubuntu.com/"
SUPPORT_URL="https://help.ubuntu.com/"
BUG_REPORT_URL="https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/"
PRIVACY_POLICY_URL="https://www.ubuntu.com/legal/terms-and-policies/privacy-policy"
VERSION_CODENAME=focal
UBUNTU_CODENAME=focal
root@cactitest:/var/www/html/plugins#
Cacti 1.2.22
Spine 1.2.22
Weathermap plugin version (which i'm desperately trying to install last two days) 0.98a (got it from here: https://github.com/howardjones/network- ... sion-0.98a)

root@cactitest:/var/www/html/plugins# php -v
PHP 7.4.3 (cli) (built: Aug 17 2022 13:29:56) ( NTS )
Copyright (c) The PHP Group
Zend Engine v3.4.0, Copyright (c) Zend Technologies
    with Zend OPcache v7.4.3, Copyright (c), by Zend Technologies

root@cactitest:/var/www/html/plugins# mysql --version
mysql  Ver 15.1 Distrib 10.3.34-MariaDB, for debian-linux-gnu (x86_64) using readline 5.2
In the weathermap folder two php scripts show that everything ok, scripts:

root@cactitest:/var/www/html/plugins# ll weathermap/ | grep check
-rw-r--r--  1 www-data www-data  1631 Jan 21  2018 check-gdbug.php
-rw-r--r--  1 www-data www-data 13111 Jan 21  2018 check.php
Owner of whole folder (weathermap) is www-data:www-data

root@cactitest:/var/www/html/plugins# ll
total 20
drwxr-xr-x  5 root     root     4096 Sep 19 17:09 ./
drwxr-xr-x 19 root     root     4096 Sep 19 14:41 ../
drwxr-xr-x  7 www-data www-data 4096 Sep 19 15:43 monitor/
drwxr-xr-x  9 www-data www-data 4096 Sep 19 15:45 thold/
drwxr-xr-x 11 www-data www-data 4096 Sep 19 17:08 weathermap/
Thold and monitor plugins work without any problem.

So, i've got no idea how to solve this riddle...
TheWitness
Developer

Re: Cacti 1.2.22 + Weathermap 0.98a issue

Post by TheWitness »

You are using a version of Weathermap that is not compatible with Cacti 1.x. You need to check the other releases on Howies GitHub site. I know there is a version that is compatible. @Netniv on GitHub know the branch to check out. I don't use that plugin though.
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Life is an adventure, let yours begin with Cacti!

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.
Interesting Device Packages

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
marat

Post by marat »

Thanx, but i've already found that cacti 1.x doesn't support weathermaps at all and the weathermap project is dead but i only needed cacti for weathermaps. I mean for me and lot of my colleagues cacti weathermap was a killer feature, without this plugin cacti loses all i like it for... liked, to be precise... I mean i could tolerate an obsolete interface and poor community support if i had weathermap feature. So, i decided that it's better to use something more powerful like zabbix or prometheus + grafana with better documentation, community support so on. Your answer just approved that i didn't make a mistake choosing zabbix+grafana.

Sad though, with weathermaps it was a really cool monitoring system for my transport network 5 years ago when i was an engineer in a big telecom provider. I drew about 25 huge maps which my old colleagues still use.
Last edited by marat on Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Reach out to @netniV if you want to know. It's still supported, but whatever.
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Yea, there are a lot of good solutions out there. Zabbix is one, Data Dog is another. They also offer paid support. I like InfluxDB + Telegraf + Grafana myself. But Cacti is still pretty free. Unfortunately, Howie lost interest with Weathermap, and since it was never a part of Core Cacti, we could not do a lot about it as there are enough other plugins to support. This is the way Open Source goes. I'll continue to support and develop Cacti for the next several years anyway, and I don't expect that Weathermap will be anything that I'll be contributing to as we don't use it at the office either.

marat

Post by marat »

I like my current installation (zabbix + grafana + redmine for automatic issue generation) but i've got several datacenters with about 80-300 servers and about 10-20 switches in each one (and they are growing) and i want to monitor a transport part as i did it when i was a network engineer. (I've already have tons of graphs and dashboards in grafana but it's easier to see all your traffic on a map and find any anomalies and problems just in a couple of seconds looking at that maps). So that was the only reason i tried old good cacti. We actually installed weathermap plugin for grafana but that's not good at all. So, i've been looking for another solution for it. If you have any suggestions you'll help me a lot!
Last edited by marat on Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

@netniV is here on the Forums. Reach out. He can set you strait for Weathermap if that's a show stopper. Cacti will scale like mad these days, but for small Data Centers is a snap. Anyway, I blame IBM for not allowing me to make Cacti like Grafana. So, it is what it is, and no one gets out alive. At some point we move on. I've done some real amazing things that I wish I could publish at some point. Right now, Cacti just about works. It's such an easy lift on Linux especially. I'm finding it hard to find bugs outside of changes that keep being introduced into PHP these days. But Weathermap, that's another story.

eyunb0405

Post by eyunb0405 »

This version works for Cacti 1.x : https://github.com/thurban/plugin_weathermap

I also have some work reasons and preferences to use weathermap.
I'm using this version in cacti1.2.22, and there are two small problems: some PHP error logs appear when adding links, and the weathermap doesn't refresh automatically. Others seems work normal.
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

That version is my starting point, though I'm also in discussions with Howie as to how to bring forward his amazing re-write of Weathermap. Right now, as PHP continues to deprecate some important core functions that Weathermap uses, have pushed me to take this project on in order to save it honestly. But God willing, I'll be able to save his other work too.

So, two things will happen:

1) A nice shiny coat of paint on the work that Thomas has done
2) Hopes of re-imagining Weathermap with the work Howies completed some years ago now.

Stay tuned.