E-Mu Morpheus vs. Roland JV-2080

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Rameses wrote:I only care about the ... efficiency
Please explain what you mean by this.

Rameses wrote:I really don't care about the haptics, I only care about the sound output and efficiency, but judging just by simple comparisions found on the internet a hardware rack unit sounds better, but back to the topic: What do you think, which one of those two is better?
The comparison is not valid.

One is pretty much a rompler that at the time was trying to do real world sounds, but can be made to do other genres, such as digital recreations of analogue synths. this was its main marketing feature.

The Morpheus was a synth for evolving sounds with its brilliant filters,which have yet to be beaten in my opinion.

You need to state what type of music you are intending to make with them.

mike_the_ranger wrote:
The effort input/productive output ratio.
dellboy wrote:
Rameses wrote:I really don't care about the haptics, I only care about the sound output and efficiency, but judging just by simple comparisions found on the internet a hardware rack unit sounds better, but back to the topic: What do you think, which one of those two is better?

One is pretty much a rompler that at the time was trying to do real world sounds, but can be made to do other genres, such as digital recreations of analogue synths. this was its main marketing feature.

The Morpheus was a synth for evolving sounds with its brilliant filters,which have yet to be beaten in my opinion.

You need to state what type of music you are intending to make with them.
Of course it's valid, just say which one you would like to use or prefer :D Also maybe why
For DISCOGRAPHY, see К Ɱ Ԏ Ꮇ Ꮩ Ꭶ Ꭵ Ꮳ

dellboy wrote:
There is no doubt in my mind that it is in fact valid. After all, the purpose of making a comparison is to find similarities and dissimilarities of the items being compared. And both modules have similarities and dissimilarities.

But you are right, unless the OP states what music he/she is after, it would be difficult to help and say which is better. Without knowing this the simple answer is that both units complement each other very well, with the JV2080 providing all the 'bread&butter' sample&synthesis sounds, while the Morpheus focuses more on the 'outlandish'.

Maybe if you like to combine the two (bread&butter + 'outlandish') look at the Proteus 2500, which includes the Morpheus Z-plane filters and more 'traditional sample content:

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/emu-proteus-2500
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

Rameses wrote:
mike_the_ranger wrote:
The effort input/productive output ratio.
Putting low effort in your music but sound like a pro? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:

You obviously don't seem to understand that they're different sounding with different approaches and since you don't seem to care about the things other users write anyway, buy both and just experience it yourself.

I don't want to offend you but you seem to lack comprehension skills. :D
To explain it further, the overall goal of technology in general is to minimalize effort and maximize productivity (including a minimum amount of quality in case you'd come up with the quality vs. quantity thing). Speaking of synthesizers I mean that I don't have to chase a signal through a endless fx chain in order to make it sound acceptable.
I don't want to take a group of posts as an absolute truth and do anything according to those posts, I just want to hear your opinions, your bias, etc.

Since you seem to be more a technical guy than a musician: synths were not build to minimalize effort and maximize productivity :wink: It not like a calculator or a computer, it's something to express creativity. You sound like you'll rather need Nexus than anything where you'd have to do things yourself :D

Creativity and technology don't stand opposing each other in a diametral way.

Here's one "catch 22" with the Morpheus: effects on it are global, not stored per patch or multi, at all! This could be a deal-breaker to some. JV-2080 stores FX with the patch. However it doesn't have the yummy filters that Morpheus has.

If you're gonna use external FX/plugins for this task, probably no biggie. But thought I should mention it.

...Not to mention that the Morpheus is rare as heck :D

Well, if you can't find a Morpheus, try UltraProteus. Much the same thing, with even more Z-plane filters (somewhat different ROM content, though). There are a couple on eBay right now.

Considering all command stations and proteus family modules have z plane filtering.

Agreeing with Evil Dragon.....
I have / had an XL7 command station with the P2500 composer rom. Yep sounded much better than the DSF aftermarket libraries if nothing else than for the DAC. Mine sporked after an incident with coffee. I keep it around for the day when I can afford to replace it with an equivalent module / command station.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

tapper mike wrote:Considering all command stations and proteus family modules have z plane filtering.
Yes but distilled and diluted (not as many options, i.e. Command station has 50 Z-planes, whereas Morpheus has 197, and UltraProteus 288), AFAIK. Morpheus is probably THE synthiest one to get.

Rameses wrote:...Not to mention that the Morpheus is rare as heck :D
Pretty much answers your question for you.

Whereas Roland JV-2080's are all over Ebay.

Depend how you interpret it. Owners of a Morpheus don't want to sell it, owners of a 2080 want to get rid of it...
Still if, if you get hold of a 2080 for around 300,- you can still give it a try...
You can also compare it to a softsynth like Xpand2 which you can get with a recent CM magazine for free...
In the end all three are digital synths... I don't believe that a DAC should be considered a musical part of the sound, you can easily mimic bad DACs in software...;-)
In theory a digital soft synth run at 96 khz sampling rate should easily outperform any 48 khz based digital synth in hardware...
But the "limitations" a hardware would give you might be the crucial factor to keep you focused and work more efficiantly... Go for it...

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”