Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 2
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 355 times and has 1 reply Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
confused The points

I want to know about the points, what for are they, thanks!!!I want to know about the points, what for are they, thanks!!! I want to know about the points, what for are they, sorry for poor English, thanks!!!
[Jan 28, 2007 12:07:51 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: The points

Neither processing time as a statistic, nor the results returned can be fairly compared. Therefore 'Points, what are they fore ', aka credits were created to allow the measurement of the relative work effort done of one members computer versus all the others. For instance, the following:

P3 1,000mhz, 2 hours = 80 points
X2 2,500mhz, 2 hours = 200 points
C2D 3,000mhz, 2 hours = 240 points (for 1 core)

Very simplified, not considering factors like ram size, network speed, hard disk storage allocation (only a factor for UD agent), a C2D computer does in 2 hours, 3 times as much work as a P3.

Other than allowing individual and team comparison on basis of points, there is no payback. WCG donates for free their servers and technical expertise, the members donate SPARE CPU TIME and the results are provided for free to medical science. No money changes hands.
----------------------------------------
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Jan 28, 2007 2:09:17 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread