Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 8
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1448 times and has 7 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
WCG to support new UD Agent?

Over at United Devices/Grid.org, an announcement was made on 12/11/06 of a new release for the UD Agent "by the end of Q2 2007":

http://forum.grid.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=20870

While BOINC does support the dual-core processors, advanced CPU throttling, and other OS platforms, the majority of the crunching completed on the WCG still comes from the UD Agent (perhaps a CA can provide statistics?).

I think that even with the "simple" BOINC GUI interface, many users find it daunting and esoteric (controlling the cpu/hours/num processors both at the agent & project level, etc.)

Are there plans to support the new release of the UD agent to harness the processing power of many of our dual-core friends who shy away from BOINC?
[Mar 1, 2007 6:44:36 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher
Re: WCG to support new UD Agent?

Hi Eso,

we know as much as u... there's a previous thread on WCG forum with the same revelation.

stats.... again we know as much as u on a daily basis.... deduct the BOINCstats from the total stats (BOINC credits x 7) and u got an approximation. The relative growth seems to go more to BOINC than WCG(UD) agent... anything Linux/MAC ** is automatic on BOINC. Apart the timing differentials as to how WCG records data and the drag factor to get it to BOINC stats, 2.9 million equates to 20 million UD points. WCG did on that day Feb.28 46m points thus BOINC is 43.4% and rising (from about 10% a year ago and only 14 months running at WCG). In CPU time its probably more/less (thumb in air guesstimate), given that UD agent reports Wall-clock time.

http://www.boincstats.com/stats/project_graph.php?pr=wcg

http://www.boincstats.com/stats/host_os_stats.php?pr=wcg&st=0

cheers

** The revelations omitted to say anything about MAC/Linux, just speaks of Vista fitness.
----------------------------------------
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Sekerob at Mar 1, 2007 7:06:28 PM]
[Mar 1, 2007 7:02:27 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

The "new UD agent" has been around for a while. I think WCG are reluctant to work with a completely untested grid platform, particularly since United Devices refused until recently to upgrade their own grid.org agent. Now that UD have finally gone ahead and announced it, I imagine that WCG will watch how it works out before committing themselves.

Obviously, I don't know what decisions WCG are actually making about this, and it is unlikely they will announce anything until a deal is made, or even until they are finally ready to scrap the old UD agent.
[Mar 1, 2007 7:21:11 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

the new UD agent should be available by the year 3000.

at that time, walt disney's frozen body will also be thawed out and he will make an announcement.
[Mar 2, 2007 5:34:13 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
teletran
Senior Cruncher

the new UD agent should be available by the year 3000.

at that time, walt disney's frozen body will also be thawed out and he will make an announcement.

I'm sensing a bit of skepticism regarding the proposed UD agent upgrade over at grid biggrin
[Mar 2, 2007 4:55:20 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
retsof
Former Community Advisor
USA
Project Badges:

Now that UD have finally gone ahead and announced it, I imagine that WCG will watch how it works out before committing themselves.
Watching how the UD agent ran (or didn't run) at grid.org **IS** why many of us are over here. laughing

Any update will probably be a behind the scenes beta test before it is ready for prime time.

Why not bury frozen Walt on the former ex-planet frozen Pluto?
SUPPORT ADVISOR
Work+GPU i7 8700 12threads
School i7 4770 8threads
Default+GPU Ryzen 7 3700X 16threads
Ryzen 7 3800X 16 threads
Ryzen 9 3900X 24threads
Home i7 3540M 4threads50%
[Edit 2 times, last edit by retsof at Mar 4, 2007 4:00:31 AM]
[Mar 4, 2007 3:49:39 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

Was Pluto not a cartoon character created by Walt Disney. Yes' they'd fit together.

The Grid.org beta of the new version is programmed to start before 3.31.07 23:59:59. There's even a shade of hope, given UD has a Linux running agent version, that it might get be made available on that platform too. It's just that if it were, and WCG see benefit in upgrading, it would have to add support for 5 projects on an extra platform. How likely would that be with BOINC Linux running fine? Not only that, but does an exclusionary UD agent lock members in, points still not going into the global pool, or shy members away? That's the big attraction of BOINC, now with the cum UD Agent like Simple View. I'd speculate, WCG want a Vista compatible UD agent with multi-core support, but that it stops there.
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Sekerob at Mar 4, 2007 7:28:53 AM]
[Mar 4, 2007 7:23:16 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Why not bury frozen Walt on the former ex-planet frozen Pluto?

http://www.snopes.com/disney/info/wd-ice.htm
[Mar 4, 2007 7:43:15 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread