Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 59
Posts: 59   Pages: 6   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1875 times and has 58 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Problem with Linux?

Are you the same member as road_runner?

If so, have you tried disabling HCC?

Yes I am. I had it disabled while it seemed to be working, then I enabled it back. I will disable it again tomorrow I guess when it will give me more WUs.
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Feb 23, 2008 4:12:40 PM]
[Feb 23, 2008 4:08:22 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

Have we seen any of the actual result status logs from here ? Copies of a FAAH, HCC and DDDT would help us to see why it crashes out in the first second. Hardware tests done? OC? (of course mandatory for a XS member else risking expulsion.)
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Feb 23, 2008 4:16:57 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Have we seen any of the actual result status logs from here ? Copies of a FAAH, HCC and DDDT would help us to see why it crashes out in the first second. Hardware tests done? OC? (of course mandatory for a XS member else risking expulsion.)

Well of course they are OCed. I have 5 Quads and all are OCCT Prime95 25.5 and dual client SMP Folding stable. One has Windows XP Pro 32 bit, Home Server 2008, Ubuntu 64 7.04 and two have Ubuntu 64 7.10. The two that are causing problems are Ubuntu 7.10. No problems with the other rigs. As far as error messages I have 36 pages with 0 run time and nothing in the error logs...
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Former Member at Feb 23, 2008 4:33:09 PM]
[Feb 23, 2008 4:23:36 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

Suppose you did all the hardware checks like memtest86 or similar too? http://www.memtest86.com/download.html (incl.linux versions).

Awaiting new work you might want to reinstall the needed 32bit libs. There is a special command to effectuate that, but being a Wozzie cant remember atm.

Prime95 does not compare in system workout to WCG jobs like HPF2 or DDDT/FAAH.
[Feb 23, 2008 6:21:35 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Suppose you did all the hardware checks like memtest86 or similar too? http://www.memtest86.com/download.html (incl.linux versions).

Awaiting new work you might want to reinstall the needed 32bit libs. There is a special command to effectuate that, but being a Wozzie cant remember atm.

Prime95 does not compare in system workout to WCG jobs like HPF2 or DDDT/FAAH.

I have reinstall the 32 bit libraries, one rig is dual boot so I booted into windows and checked with OCCT, and no problems. I also have a windows drive set up that I can swap between all rigs since I use all the same P35/X38 MBs and run some stability test on the other rig and everything is goo. I also ran Folding at home SMP dual clients for one WU (around 24 hours) when it first acted up and am doing the same right now on both rigs. I also run memtest as it is built in with Ubuntu and no problems there either. I find it strange that it was working fine for weeks and weeks and all of a sudden both rigs with 7.10 went crazy at the same time.
[Feb 23, 2008 7:01:47 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

[Feb 23, 2008 7:36:14 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

It probably isn't a stability issue. The work units are failing immediately. This is usually a library issue.

Please will you use ldd on one of the science applications to determine if there are any dependency problems.
[Feb 23, 2008 8:33:41 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

It probably isn't a stability issue. The work units are failing immediately. This is usually a library issue.

Please will you use ldd on one of the science applications to determine if there are any dependency problems.

Well you lost me on that one as I am a n00b with Ubuntu. I uninstalled the old version with the packet manager and downloaded the new and changed permissions on the file ran it in a terminal which made a boinc folder with all the files in it. I just double clicked the manager from there....
[Feb 23, 2008 10:07:32 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Ok I got it going again with a new install, I have come to the conclusion its a bug with the update button as that is when it done it the first time and now that I think about that is what it done today. It only does it with 7.10. I am going to leave the update button alone and see what happens, so far so good...
[Feb 24, 2008 2:56:44 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

I'm not so sure at this time when the crashes of the sciences occur now with adding the operation of the Update button as another factor for things to go wrong.

Try 5.10.42 (development version for Linux 32/64 platforms) was declared at the Berkeley download page. Interrupted internet connectivity has been reported by a number of people as a cause of work crashing out by the lot. The Async comms change may have solved the issue (but why only on the 7.10 Linux box?).

Yesterday tried OCCT as a test. The funny part was that I left BOINC running. After thirty minutes, the sciences had progressed 26 minutes, which makes me wonder if OCCT is a proper 'under load' testing tool (The label it carried was "OCCT Perestroika 1.1.0 - Stability testing, Temperature & voltages graphs, 16-core support :)". Anyone in the know?
[Feb 25, 2008 1:19:43 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 59   Pages: 6   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread