Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 11
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 852 times and has 10 replies Next Thread
keithhenry
Ace Cruncher
Senile old farts of the world ....uh.....uh..... nevermind
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
What's up with the server outage????

Anyone know what's going on with the servers today? There's nothing in Member News or Known Issues (it does have post about outage to move memory yesterday) and I don't believe this is a regular scheduled outage. At various times today, along with being told that the project is down for maintenance (in BOINC messages), uploads have been disabled (any relation to that multi-day problem back in May?), downloads of new work have not happened (simply due to the server outage) and the validators don't seem to be running. Normally, the admins tell us if there's a server problem - unlike so many projects where servers can be down whenever for however long with no info or communication.
----------------------------------------
Join/Website/IMODB

[Jun 12, 2008 7:55:33 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Dataman
Ace Cruncher
Project Badges:
Re: What's up with the server outage????

It's been intermittant for about 5 hours.
6/12/2008 10:19:12 AM|World Community Grid|Started upload of lt619_00031_15_0
6/12/2008 10:19:14 AM|World Community Grid|[error] Error on file upload: Maintenance underway: file uploads are temporarily disabled.
6/12/2008 10:19:14 AM|World Community Grid|Temporarily failed upload of lt619_00031_15_0: transient upload error
6/12/2008 10:19:14 AM|World Community Grid|Backing off 19 min 34 sec on upload of lt619_00031_15_0

Maybe due to the RAM move from UD to BOINC? confused

flag

[Jun 12, 2008 8:08:48 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

hmmm,

In between and after my work uploaded, one time it backed off 3 hours and when i hit the retry now in the transfer window it went fine, but have like you a few in PV jail whilst quorum is complete (after follow up to your post).

It will catch up as it always does. Kevin tends to switch off the validators when he's shuffling things around.
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Jun 12, 2008 8:09:32 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
keithhenry
Ace Cruncher
Project Badges:

hmmm,

In between and after my work uploaded, one time it backed off 3 hours and when i hit the retry now in the transfer window it went fine, but have like you a few in PV jail whilst quorum is complete (after follow up to your post).

It will catch up as it always does. Kevin tends to switch off the validators when he's shuffling things around.

Right, but usually we're told if something bad is up or it's something that will last more than an hour or two - this has been off and on for most of the past six hours or so.

Edit: Uploads pending just went and one WU validated. It is over or just another moment between outages?
Join/Website/IMODB

[Edit 1 times, last edit by keithhenry at Jun 12, 2008 8:19:12 PM]
[Jun 12, 2008 8:17:45 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Jord
Advanced Cruncher
Project Badges:

It is over or just another moment between outages?

Possibly someone looked at the calendar and looked at what tomorrow is, got scared and decided to take action today already. cool
Tears in my eyes
How they fall like rain to the floor

[Jun 12, 2008 10:32:40 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
knreed
Former World Community Grid Tech
Project Badges:

I apologize - I didn't put up a known issues post for this one.

As you remember a few weeks ago we had the extended outage. There are some fixpacks available for GPFS that will help us locate problems like that in the future so we applied them yesterday. As a result, we had to take the filesystems offline. It was supposed to be a short outage, but we missed a dependency requirement that took longer to get updated and put into place.

Things are back to normal operations now.
[Jun 13, 2008 2:56:56 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

As you remember a few weeks ago we had the extended outage. There are some fixpacks available for GPFS that will help us locate problems like that in the future so we applied them yesterday. As a result, we had to take the filesystems offline. It was supposed to be a short outage, but we missed a dependency requirement that took longer to get updated and put into place.

Thanks for all your ongoing hard work trying to keep the servers happy and healthy. Your efforts are appreciated! coffee smile
[Jun 13, 2008 3:03:10 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
keithhenry
Ace Cruncher
Project Badges:

Ah yes. Murphy seems to be a part of everyone's team. wink Compost happens. That and when those Maalox moments happen, we do tend to focus on the moment. laughing Folks that crunch WCG only don't even know how spoiled they are. The unplanned outages are quite rare here, especially in comparasion to some other projects.
Join/Website/IMODB

[Jun 13, 2008 4:25:18 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
joeperry39@gmail.com
Advanced Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Does this problem have anything to do with the fact that I cannot return finished work?

I was having an apparant problem connecting to the internet even though I have an always-on high-speed connection (Verizon FiOS), and when I "resolved" that problem with a reboot, I did receive a download of a new Beta Rice wu, but was unable then, or with re-trys, to send back completed wu's.

Any ideas what might be causing this problem? confused

flag

"Everything in moderation, including moderation" -- Mark Twain
[Jun 13, 2008 8:07:54 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Hello osugrad,
I have been communicating without trouble since the early afternoon of 12 June 2008. What do the Messages say?

Lawrence
[Jun 13, 2008 10:05:26 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread