Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 4
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 409 times and has 3 replies Next Thread
nasher
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
sugestion priority of jobs

Personaly i am a badge hunter...

and i hate turning off the other projects to force a bage to come sooner...

but what i would like to see is when you select run other projects if no ones avalible to be given an option for what secondary and so on projects it will run

also like BOINC in general it would be nice to be able to set a percentage of how much resorces go to what project.. for instance 10% to cancer 30% aids 25% solar... ect
----------------------------------------

[Dec 12, 2008 3:07:48 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: sugestion priority of jobs

This has been suggested before (often the case with good ideas).

However, it does conflict slightly with the ability of World Community Grid to balance work distribution between different projects to make the grid run smoothly, and to accommodate the needs of the researchers.

Just from a computational point of view, doing this sort of weighting is harder than it sounds. Not impossible, but still much more complex than the current scheduler.

So, will it ever happen? I don't know. The techs have other priorities right now.
[Dec 12, 2008 3:15:39 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
nasher
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

yes i understand some of the complexity of doing this...

personaly i normaly leave it open except when a new project comes along

right now i hopefully after this update gets finished will have my bronze for CEP...

i am only on a silver for Rice and they are slowing down the generation of work units (see the rice form) so that would be my second choice right now cause i want to go for the gold

i dont mind runnin any of the projects curently online here they are all good projects in my opinion...

but normaly when im not in a crunch for a badge (and not including the new projects have to change my thinkn some)

i would want more Cancer reserch followed by Aids reserch then a smattering of everything else... i might add the CEP into my normal wants

but i guess once i get my badges for CEP (gold) and Rice(gold) i will just open up to all projects again... but its just somethign i would like to make it easyer on my end

[Dec 12, 2008 1:14:00 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Rickjb
Veteran Cruncher
Australia
Project Badges:

and i hate turning off the other projects to force a badge to come sooner...
Don't tell anyone else about this, but I think that our choice of project has much less influence on the total of what gets crunched by the grid than we might think. If you or I turn a project off or on, the work goes to or comes from some of the other crunchers. If the grid's "input hopper" for Project A is overflowing, the techs can reduce the input rates for some of the other projects, and then more Project A WUs will get taken out by crunchers who have Project A among their mix. There would be limits of course.

So, I think you should feel free to switch projects off and on. You could do this fairly often, so that you get your desired average percentage of time spent on each project. There would be some extra load on the WCG servers each time you switch, but my guess is that a switch every few days would be OK.

Please leave the Device Profile option "If there is no work available for my computer for the projects I have selected above, please send me work from another project" switched ON.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Rickjb at Dec 13, 2008 12:01:38 AM]
[Dec 13, 2008 12:00:34 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread