Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 26
Posts: 26   Pages: 3   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 989 times and has 25 replies Next Thread
nanoprobe
Master Cruncher
Classified
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Can't connect to internet with Dotsch UX

Try manually entering the IP address, subnet mask, and gateway address on your PC. Something's not working with DHCP.

I noticed in network connections that it listed eth5. Shouldn't that be eth0?
----------------------------------------
In 1969 I took an oath to defend and protect the U S Constitution against all enemies, both foreign and Domestic. There was no expiration date.

[Feb 9, 2011 2:18:10 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
pirogue
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

I have no idea how you got up to eth5. You should still be able to set the addresses.

[Feb 9, 2011 3:26:41 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
nanoprobe
Master Cruncher
Classified
Project Badges:

I have no idea how you got up to eth5. You should still be able to set the addresses.

I set the address but it doesn't work. When I reboot it goes back to auto. Updated the NIC drivers but that didn't help either.
In 1969 I took an oath to defend and protect the U S Constitution against all enemies, both foreign and Domestic. There was no expiration date.

[Feb 9, 2011 10:50:24 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
pirogue
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Try a LiveCD with the latest Ubuntu beta, just to see if you can get connected. It may just be that the last release (that I can find) of Dotsch is nearly a year ago and it's not recognizing the hardware correctly.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by pirogue at Feb 9, 2011 12:34:55 PM]
[Feb 9, 2011 12:29:51 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Natty Nharwal 11.04 is going to support Sandy Bridge incl. it's Graphics, so read a few days ago.

Changed settings not saving... permissions?

--//--
[Feb 9, 2011 12:33:01 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
nanoprobe
Master Cruncher
Classified
Project Badges:

It may just be that the last release (that I can find) of Dotsch is nearly a year ago and it's not recognizing the hardware correctly.

I think you're probably right on this one. Do you think a PCI NIC card might solve the problem?

[Feb 9, 2011 2:12:20 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Swap the Dotsch USB sticks between a system that works and the failing one [unless they are HD installations?]. Then you know at least it's not the specific copy causing the issue.

At one point in time trying the get Wifi to work got up to wlan3, so deleted them all from the network manager, booted without the Wifi stick in, waited till system was fully up and then plugged in... and things worked. Same might work for the Ethernet cable... have you swapped cable ports on router and cables between computers?
[Feb 9, 2011 2:22:02 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
nanoprobe
Master Cruncher
Classified
Project Badges:

Swap the Dotsch USB sticks between a system that works and the failing one [unless they are HD installations?]. Then you know at least it's not the specific copy causing the issue.

That was one of the first things I tried. The USB boots and connects fine on other systems. I have the same issue on a HDD install.

have you swapped cable ports on router and cables between computers?

Yep. Even tried bypassing the router and going directly to the modem. No cigar.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by nanoprobe at Feb 9, 2011 4:10:10 PM]
[Feb 9, 2011 4:09:30 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

A report ran with a little tool called "ethtool" picked up from http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux...onnect-to-network-617944/ with seemingly similar behaviour. Think you mentioned to only get 10Mb. Certainly my connects all have the mac addresses entered, both of device and of router.

sudo ethtool eth0

Settings for eth0:
Supported ports: [ TP MII ]
Supported link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
Advertised link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
Advertised pause frame use: No
Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
Link partner advertised link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
Link partner advertised pause frame use: No
Link partner advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
Speed: 100Mb/s
Duplex: Full
Port: MII
PHYAD: 32
Transceiver: internal
Auto-negotiation: on
Supports Wake-on: pumbg
Wake-on: d
Current message level: 0x00000007 (7)
Link detected: yes
[Feb 9, 2011 4:38:06 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
sk..
Master Cruncher
http://s17.rimg.info/ccb5d62bd3e856cc0d1df9b0ee2f7f6a.gif
Project Badges:

Do you think a PCI NIC card might solve the problem?

Yes. If you have one pop it in. My guess is that you have the wrong driver. There probably isn't one that works for that board, yet.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by skgiven at Feb 9, 2011 5:25:25 PM]
[Feb 9, 2011 5:20:43 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 26   Pages: 3   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread