Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 13
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1688 times and has 12 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
chrome or firefox?

seems to me chrome was faster before, but now they seem about the same. also i'm not sure if one is more affected by wcg crunching activity.
[Feb 23, 2012 5:34:13 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Richard Mitnick
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:
Re: chrome or firefox?

Full disclosure, I am something of a browser junky. I participate at the SillyDog forum on browsers and other topics.

I do not think that speed is any longer much of a question among browsers. I ran Chrome as a default for about six weeks. I find its bookmarks handling a bit clunky.

My default is Firefox. My backup is SeaMonkey browser, also a Gecko browser based on the Firefox code.
----------------------------------------
[Feb 23, 2012 11:48:51 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
mikey
Veteran Cruncher
Project Badges:

seems to me chrome was faster before, but now they seem about the same. also i'm not sure if one is more affected by wcg crunching activity.

The new IE9 is MUCH faster than the older versions but I still use Firefox myself, except on my Server, there I use IE.

[Feb 23, 2012 1:02:55 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Chrome is very bad for the environment, and health too... Google is heavily into duplicitous efforts with their way of serving pages to Chrome v FF. See the gossip columns for the opinionations. The rich add-on and extension ecosystem of FF has no match with any other browser [see the FF add-ons thread in Chat-Room], none whatsoever if you ask me, but second _backup_ choice to me is definitely Opera.

Anyway, run what you're comfortable with, user friendliest to you. Speed with todays hardware is irrelevant... 250 or 280 milliseconds page fetch time... your brain will not be able to take in the first words with any before the full page is loaded.

--//--
[Feb 23, 2012 2:07:55 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
nanoprobe
Master Cruncher
Classified
Project Badges:

If you read the new TOS and EULA for Chrome and you value your privacy you'll avoid it like the plauge.
In 1969 I took an oath to defend and protect the U S Constitution against all enemies, both foreign and Domestic. There was no expiration date.

[Feb 23, 2012 2:17:40 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
David Autumns
Ace Cruncher
UK
Project Badges:

Chrome has one unforgivable bug for me

The complete inability to populate a cfgrid element with any data from a database

No other browser has this bug and... they keep rolling it over until the next release again and again and again. Its down to embedded Flash support.

I just like the look and feel of Chrome and it's multithreaded nature

I use Gmail, but every now and again I get the hot panic sweats that Google knows too much about me. And their spooky tailored ads that follow you around the net.

but their DNS server is just way too easy to remember being 8.8.8.8 and the secondary 8.8.4.4

throw in android and footsteps, steetview and google+ and your privacy disappears

Don't believe me... see what happens when you use TOR to get into Gmail

I still think Chrome is slicker than FF.... he says writing in Chrome.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by David Autumns at Feb 23, 2012 8:33:33 PM]
[Feb 23, 2012 8:31:59 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

I use Gmail, but every now and again I get the hot panic sweats that Google knows too much about me. And their spooky tailored ads that follow you around the net.
There is this joke that goes something like "Google knows you more than your wife does." Now that's scary! I'm more than happy with my Firefox_v10.
;
[Feb 23, 2012 9:18:30 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
nanoprobe
Master Cruncher
Classified
Project Badges:

I'm more than happy with my Firefox_v10.

With the NoScript plugin. peace If people actually saw how many scripts are running in the back ground when you visit most websites they would be alarmed.
In 1969 I took an oath to defend and protect the U S Constitution against all enemies, both foreign and Domestic. There was no expiration date.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by nanoprobe at Feb 24, 2012 3:25:14 PM]
[Feb 24, 2012 3:22:37 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
mikaok
Senior Cruncher
Finland
Project Badges:

I have FF and Chrome installed to my netbook that is running a very slow atom processor. Chrome is unable to run videos smoothly but FF has no problems with that, so that makes me think chrome isn't any faster. And that is why I haven't been eager to install chrome to my desktop.
to infinity and beyond

[Feb 24, 2012 3:35:42 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
GeraldRube
Master Cruncher
United States
Project Badges:

I'm more than happy with my Firefox_v10.

With the NoScript plugin. peace If people actually saw how many scripts are running in the back ground when you visit most websites they would be alarmed.

True---and TOR for privacy but will slow you down-- wink

[Feb 25, 2012 4:50:18 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread