Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 8
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1123 times and has 7 replies Next Thread
joeperry39@gmail.com
Advanced Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
angry A REALLY ANNOYING problem ***RESOLVED***

I don't know where to post this, but because FAAH is the only project I'm running I'll post it here and perhaps someone can move it to the correct area or post an answer in this forum.

Suddenly, every few seconds I keep seeing a pop-up on my screen of the block that will appear when I right-click on the WCG/BOINC icon in the systray. It pops up on the desktop if I'm there, it pops up in whatever application I happen to be running at the time. It has even popped up while I am trying to compose this posting and locks up everything. GRRRRR!!!

Is anyone else having this problem? It is happening on both of my computers and only started this evening. If it doesn't stop soon, or no one can suggest a solution, I am going to shut BOINC/WCG down as it is really disruptive.

I have run a couple programs to clean the trash files from my computer and have rebooted - but nothing seems to stop this annoying problem.

Any suggestions????? confused sad crying
----------------------------------------

"Everything in moderation, including moderation" -- Mark Twain
[Edit 1 times, last edit by osugrad at Nov 14, 2013 10:00:47 PM]
[Nov 13, 2013 11:53:08 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: A REALLY ANNOYING problem

You are the only person reporting this problem. This sounds like an annoyance caused by malware. Why not shut down BOINC on your system and see what that does? Is there any identifying information on the popup?

Lawrence
[Nov 14, 2013 12:39:08 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Movieman
Veteran Cruncher

I've had BOINC on literally 100 machines and never heard of this.,.
Try a ctrl/alt/del, bring up taskmanager and see if there's something nasty running your not aware of..Look in the processes tab
Good luck!

[Nov 14, 2013 1:10:34 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
kffitzgerald
Senior Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

try downloading and running malwarebytes - usually works for me
[Nov 14, 2013 1:49:44 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

What does the pop-up say?
[Nov 14, 2013 5:55:49 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Suddenly, every few seconds I keep seeing a pop-up on my screen of the block that will appear when I right-click on the WCG/BOINC icon in the systray.
I'm sure I've seen this reported once before. Quick search on systray AND right-click... OK, here's the post, ah, it was you on 21 September 2011 shock. The following day you said, "the problem seems to have disappeared as suddenly as it started". Maybe the same will happen again?
I would also add that it was Microsoft's patch Tuesday this week, just in case that turns out to be relevant.
[Nov 14, 2013 9:30:01 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

... The reporter of the 2013 case is the same as the reporter in 2011. cool

No volunteering what the pop-up says, but seen this discussed over at the Berkeley developers forum too, a never ending stream of hundreds. A likely condition could be e.g. the BOINCmgr loosing connection to the boinc core client [oh oh security software interference]. That could cause user impairment. Run without BOINCmgr and let the core client continue [yes you can both for a service and user install]. Sure there cant be a systray pop-up without the GUI running minimized. smile

P.S. Is boinctray.exe running? Nothing to do with the system tray, it just is the detector of user activity so to pause BOINC when it's the case, on Wiindows only. The program is only launched once at boot, independent of running BOINC.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Nov 14, 2013 9:59:17 AM]
[Nov 14, 2013 9:55:29 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
joeperry39@gmail.com
Advanced Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:
Re: A REALLY ANNOYING problem ***RESOLVED***

What does the pop-up say?

I had hoped I made it clear in my description of the problem, but it was the ''options'' block that opens up if you right-click (PC) on the WCG icon in systray that kept popping up randomly on my screen. It shows the following:

OPEN WORLD COMMUNITY GRID - BOINC MANAGER
---------------
Snooze
---------------
About WCG - BOINC mgt
---------------
Exit

Last night I ran a full virus scan - nothing found (Avast Anti-virus)
As also suggested, I ran a scan with both Malwarebytes and also used IObit Malware Fighter in addition to a full scan with IObit AdvanceSystemCare Pro.

The malware programs found a couple of items on each computer but they were different problems, neither serious, and nothing that appeared related to WCG/BOINC. So nothing conclusive there.

However, I also noted that the problem that had suddenly appeared yesterday evening my time, suddenly disappeared sometime overnight and has not recurred today on either computer.

I guess a Gremlin must have escaped from my router yesterday, wandered around for a while playing with the WCG option screen, then crawled back in the router and went to sleep, hopefully never to wake up again.

Long story somewhat short -- the problem seeems to have self-corrected and I guess we will never know what caused the problem. I just hope it stays away for good.

Thanks to all that replied with suggestions of things to look for.

"Everything in moderation, including moderation" -- Mark Twain
[Edit 1 times, last edit by osugrad at Nov 14, 2013 10:03:31 PM]
[Nov 14, 2013 10:00:08 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread