Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 9
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 957 times and has 8 replies Next Thread
William LeGro
Advanced Cruncher
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
overheating iMac

Have a 2011 iMac 21", OS X 10.6.8, 16GB RAM, 3.06 GHz, Intel i3

Been running WCG for years, allowing it up to 100% of CPU because all I do on the computer is write and surf - no gaming etc. Never a problem with overheating despite the CPU designation.

Suddenly Temperature Monitor is flashing warnings at me for the CPU exceeding 75ºC (all 4 cores intermittently, mainly Core 3), and it's gotten up to 83. The secondary heatsink also went over 75. This is with my HDD and CPU fans running at midpoint.

I cranked the fans up to full speed and got the temps down below 75 (with a lot of noise), but normal with the fans at midpoint has always been in the low-mid 60s. So this is sudden.

So I experimented with closing BOINC - and watched the temps quickly drop 10-30 degrees, with fans back to midpoint. CPU C went from 83 to 50.

Anybody have an idea what's going on?
----------------------------------------

[Edit 1 times, last edit by William LeGro at Jul 22, 2015 6:55:08 PM]
[Jul 22, 2015 6:53:01 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: overheating iMac

Thermal paste gave away between CPU and heatsink, or cranking fans is just consolidating dust up against the vents and cooling bodies, the common possibles. Today did my laptop and it was -10C OpTemp.
[Jul 22, 2015 6:59:47 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

@admin: Think this thread needs moving to the Hardware forum!
[Jul 22, 2015 7:23:00 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
William LeGro
Advanced Cruncher
Project Badges:

The temp rise happened before I cranked the fans up. As soon as I open BOINC with fans at midpoint, the temp shoots up; as soon as I close BOINC the temp plummets.

Could be dust - though the suddenness of this has me worried. I've never taken the back off - not that skilled - installing memory was my limit (wasn't much dust down there). And I do live in a dusty region.

Maybe I should experiment with allowing BOINC less CPU. But would that decrease my computing ability for WCG?

I'll wait a few days, check it periodically to see if it fixes itself again (it's done something like this 2-3 times but never so dramatically). If not I guess I'll take it in. $75 an hour.

Thanks!

[Jul 22, 2015 7:51:57 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Falconet
Master Cruncher
Portugal
Project Badges:

It is probably dust or thermal paste like SekeRob said.

Me, I'm on vacation and keeping my laptop (A8-4500M in my signature) running at night on all 4 cores and at 100%. Temps at 74-75º and the maximum operating temperature from AMD is 100º.

I'm not worried. Plus it is just for now.

Yes, allowing BOINC less CPU would impact your output. Maybe ask a friend that could clean it up?

AMD Ryzen 5 1600AF 4C/8T 3.2 GHz - 85W
AMD Ryzen 5 2500U 4C/8T 2.0 GHz - 28W
Intel Z3740 4C/4T 1.8 GHz - 6W
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Falconet at Jul 22, 2015 8:12:31 PM]
[Jul 22, 2015 8:07:43 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
William LeGro
Advanced Cruncher
Project Badges:

Thanks fellow crunchers. Don't have any friends, so I guess I'll have to take it in.

[Jul 22, 2015 8:15:22 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Falconet
Master Cruncher
Portugal
Project Badges:

Good luck :)

AMD Ryzen 5 1600AF 4C/8T 3.2 GHz - 85W
AMD Ryzen 5 2500U 4C/8T 2.0 GHz - 28W
Intel Z3740 4C/4T 1.8 GHz - 6W
[Jul 22, 2015 8:21:47 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
branjo
Master Cruncher
Slovakia
Project Badges:

William,

Try to (vacuum) clean bottom holes in which RAM is located. This helpex my iMac 2011 a lot - decreased temp by ca. 10 degs.

Cheers

Crunching@Home since January 13 2000. Shrubbing@Home since January 5 2006

[Jul 24, 2015 9:22:59 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
ErikaT
Former World Community Grid Admin
USA
Project Badges:

This thread is being moved to the Hardware forum.

Thanks,
ErikaT
[Jul 27, 2015 10:51:06 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread