Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 13
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2060 times and has 12 replies Next Thread
yossarian
Cruncher
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Icon in panel on Linux mint

@alanb1951
Yes I install boinc from repository, dont like to install from "unsupported packages from this untrusted PPA" like on
https://launchpad.net/~costamagnagianfranco/+archive/ubuntu/boinc
I find boinc filesare scattered everywhere

/etc/X11/Xsession.d/36x11-common_xhost-boinc
/etc/boinc-client
/etc/boinc-client/cc_config.xml
/etc/boinc-client/global_prefs_override.xml
/etc/boinc-client/gui_rpc_auth.cfg
/etc/boinc-client/remote_hosts.cfg
/etc/default/boinc-client
/etc/init.d/boinc-client
/lib/systemd/system/boinc-client.service
/lib/udev/rules.d/60-boinc-client.rules
/usr/bin/boinc
/usr/bin/boinccmd
/usr/bin/update-boinc-applinks
/usr/lib/boinc-client
/usr/lib/boinc-client/switcher
/usr/share
/usr/share/bash-completion
and many more.
So I don't know howe to start boinc GUI from terminal
As I said before boincmgr is runing, i can see it in system monitor
Cheers to you to
[Apr 16, 2019 9:16:29 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
alanb1951
Veteran Cruncher
Project Badges:
Re: Icon in panel on Linux mint

@alanb1951
Yes I install boinc from repository, dont like to install from "unsupported packages from this untrusted PPA" like on
https://launchpad.net/~costamagnagianfranco/+archive/ubuntu/boinc

For what it's worth, Gianfranco Costamagna is one of the official developers for the Debian/Ubuntu BOINC distribution. I wouldn't be too worried about getting a BOINC version from that PPA (and usually do so myself, as it's a good way of getting bug fixes long before they find their way into the "official" repositories...)

As for your issues with the BOINC manager - I'm running XUbuntu (so my desktop environment is XFCE), so anything I might offer up on the subject may well not be relevant to a MINT user. However, I note that even if I close the main BOINC Manager window by "Exit" route there is still a copy of boincmgr running for as long as the little icon in the notifications area (which is, I believe, what you were trying to get rid of in the first place?) remains.
Like several of the other responders, I have no problems starting boincmgr from either the system menu or from a launcher icon that I've added to one of my window panels. If you want to try to launch from a terminal, you could always try
cd /var/lib/boinc-client
boincmgr &
which is the equivalent of what the launcher does!

And finally, I've tried an experiment on my XFCE desktop, where one can configure the notification region to hide various items - I asked it to hide BOINC Manager, then started BOINC Manager and the icon did not appear. I don't know whether you can do that with your desktop manager in MINT...

Good luck - Al.
[Apr 17, 2019 1:28:15 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
yossarian
Cruncher
Project Badges:
sad Re: Icon in panel on Linux mint

@alanb1951

For what it's worth, Gianfranco Costamagna is one of the official developers for the Debian/Ubuntu BOINC distribution. I wouldn't be too worried about getting a BOINC version from that PPA (and usually do so myself, as it's a good way of getting bug fixes long before they find their way into the "official" repositories...)

I take the bite and upgraded to v 7.14.2 (x64) but nothing changed, so I give up. In the process I find that now I have another problem. On ikon exit there is no prompt for exit and it shut down boinc completely. If I shut down from program menu, on restart there is no project and boinc can't connect. After maybe two minutes it give me popup with message
"The BOINC client has exited unexpectedly 3 times within last 3 minutes. Would you like to restart it again?"
Restart doesn't resolve nothing so now my BOINC is hanging doing nothing. sad
After system restart I am back to normal cool
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by yossarian at Apr 17, 2019 3:58:50 PM]
[Apr 17, 2019 3:52:51 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread