Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 50
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 13295 times and has 49 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Choosing a high-end CPU

May I ask what your setup is and how much you contribute per day? If you are running Linux can you please let me know

My Ryzen 1700's are running at 3 GHz and do 2 threads Microbiome Immunity Project and 14 threads Zika at the moment. Points output is about 120k wcg points per day.

My Ryzen 2700 running at 3.2 GHz, running the same project mix, averages slightly more than 130k points per day.

They all run Linux, points on Windows would be noticably lower for Zika.

You can also find detailed specs and why I chose the components I did here:
http://dc.sheridon.de/detailed-specs-of-my-crunchers
[Jun 28, 2019 8:19:26 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Speedy51
Veteran Cruncher
New Zealand
Project Badges:

The days count for badges is purely hours. Nothing else. Hours of any CPU. 1 hour of a Pentium 4 2GHz is the same as an i9 at 5 GHz per CPU thread.

Yes you are right in our of CPU time is an hour of CPU time. The I 9 is going to give me per hour of run-time 15 hours because I can run 15 instances of the application on that CPU leaving one core free for my GPU. Whereas the Pentium 4 can literally only give me one hour per hour because you can only run one instance of an application

You're here asking for advice. Pls listen to it. Sgt.Joe and others are correct about the hours.

Yes I agree I asking for advice. I will take of their advice on board.
Let me ask the question another way. If per calendar day. I get 7.5 days per day but when I average it out over 7 days I get 7.85 days per calendar day. If there is only 7.5 days per calendar day why some days to a get more and some days I get less? I should always be getting 7.5 days.
To me the answer is easy it is because not every task runs for the same amount of time you can have one task run 4.98 of an hour & another task run for 3.03 hours. If you had every task run for an hour yes I believe you would only get 7.5 days per calendar day
----------------------------------------

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Speedy51 at Jun 29, 2019 7:33:54 AM]
[Jun 29, 2019 7:21:37 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Let me ask the question another way. If per calendar day. I get 7.5 days per day but when I average it out over 7 days I get 7.85 days per calendar day. If there is only 7.5 days per calendar day why some days to a get more and some days I get less? I should always be getting 7.5 days.
To me the answer is easy it is because not every task runs for the same amount of time you can have one task run 4.98 of an hour & another task run for 3.03 hours. If you had every task run for an hour yes I believe you would only get 7.5 days per calendar day

You are right, that in theory you should get exactly the same amount of run time per day (assuming you run you pc the same amount of time per day). However, run time is not counted when you complete the work unit, but when the work unit is validated. When that is the case, depends on the project. Some projects require only one instance of every work unit to be completed. Then the unit will be valid right after you sent it back. Others require 2 instances of every work unit to be completed. Then the second instance of your work unit will be sent to another PC and only after both instances are completed, you and your wingman receive the points. And if your wingman is slow, that can take several days. So because of that, points fluctuate a bit per day. Over longer time periods they will match what you compute per day on average. Over shorter time periods this is not the case.

Or to give you another example to understand the amount of time computed per day: Assume, you have a 16-thread CPU running at 3 GHz. And assume further, every workunit you compute takes 2.4 hours to complete. Lets ignore the validation issue and assume, every workunit competed is valid right away. This means, every thread can complete 10 workunits per day, or overall you complete 16x10 = 160 workunits. 160 workunits x 2.4 hours = 384 hours or 16 days.
Now assume, you reduce the clock rate of your CPU dramatically to 300 MHz (nobody will do that, but in theory you could). Now every workunit will take 24 hours to complete. Will your daily run time be lower because of that? No. Because you will complete 16 workunits per day now. And 16 workunits x 24 hours per workunit is still 384 hours or 16 days of run time per day. Of course, you will only get 1/10th of the points, because the work you do is only 1/10th. Points are a much better guide for how much you contributed than run time (while still far from perfect).
[Jun 29, 2019 9:21:13 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Jack007
Master Cruncher
CANADA
Project Badges:

I haven't read the whole thread, but wait for Ryzen that will be 7nm, 16 cores HP 32. That's what I'm doing for my next build.

[Jul 1, 2019 7:05:00 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Speedy51
Veteran Cruncher
New Zealand
Project Badges:

Contrary to what the thread title says I am seriously leaning towards getting a Ryzen 9 3900 X. I have one question would you go with the stock Wraith Prism Cooler Or would you go with a aftermarket liquid cooler? TD02-RGB Bearing in mind it will be consistently under 100% load with an ambient temperature of around mid to high 20s° Celsius. I am thinking it is safer to go with the aftermarket cooler.
TIA

[Jul 15, 2019 7:11:57 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Falconet
Master Cruncher
Portugal
Project Badges:

Actually, from what I recall reading, the Wraith coolers are very good.
When Ryzen 1 came out, I remember reading reviews about the cooler saying it was as good as an aftermarket cooler.

AMD Ryzen 5 1600AF 4C/8T 3.2 GHz - 85W
AMD Ryzen 5 2500U 4C/8T 2.0 GHz - 28W
Intel Z3740 4C/4T 1.8 GHz - 6W
[Jul 15, 2019 9:14:59 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

I have one question would you go with the stock Wraith Prism Cooler Or would you go with a aftermarket liquid cooler?

If you plan to run the CPU at stock frequency (what I would suggest because of the higher energy efficiency), you should be fine with the Wraith cooler, even under 24/7 load.

My undervolted Ryzen 1700s run at 3 GHz (which is the stock frequency and any Turbo Boost etc deactivated) with the Wraith cooler and never went above 60 °C even at 30 °C ambient temp this summer.

The 3900X might be a bit harder to cool, as it is 105 W TDP instead of 65 W TDP, but on the other hand the included Wraith cooler is also a better version than that of my 1700s.

If you want to go with an aftermarket cooler, I would suggest to stay with air cooling instead of water. They are more reliable and consume less energy (which adds up when running 24/7)
[Jul 15, 2019 12:13:00 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Speedy51
Veteran Cruncher
New Zealand
Project Badges:

I have one question would you go with the stock Wraith Prism Cooler Or would you go with a aftermarket liquid cooler?

My undervolted Ryzen 1700s run at 3 GHz (which is the stock frequency and any Turbo Boost etc deactivated) with the Wraith cooler and never went above 60 °C even at 30 °C ambient temp this summer.

The 3900X might be a bit harder to cool, as it is 105 W TDP instead of 65 W TDP, but on the other hand the included Wraith cooler is also a better version than that of my 1700s.

If you want to go with an aftermarket cooler, I would suggest to stay with air cooling instead of water. They are more reliable and consume less energy (which adds up when running 24/7)

I have decided to go with the aftermarket cooling because it increases the amount of work throughput even if it is only by 1%. How come did you under volt your 1700 X & why did you deactivate turbo boost? Thanks for answering my questions

[Jul 17, 2019 7:04:19 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

I have decided to go with the aftermarket cooling because it increases the amount of work throughput even if it is only by 1%. How come did you under volt your 1700 X & why did you deactivate turbo boost? Thanks for answering my questions

I don't think an aftermarket cooler will increase the amount of work done, not even by 1%. The only scenario where this could happen is, if you do an extreme overclock and your machine is throttled due to dangerously high temperatures. But for a machine running 24/7 you should avoid coming anywhere close to this scenario anyway.

On the other hand, if you want to go with a good aftermarket cooler, this is not a bad idea - the better the cooling the better. The only argument for me against this is the cost - the stock cooler is just good enough for my purpose.

Undervolting is a good idea to decrease energy consumption while not sacrificing performance. In the end, cost for electricity is a major expense, potentially adding up to more than the hardware cost after some years. A CPU needs a high enough voltage to function properly. Which exactly is dependent on the specifics of every piece of silicon and cannot be predicted. So the manufacturers want to be on the safe side and specify a voltage, that will definitely work. If you test a bit, you can lower the voltage and try at which voltage the CPU still works fine. It will then run at lower power, but with the same speed.
Undervolting can be done in the BIOS settings with a suitable mainboard (for example B350, B450, X370, X470, bot NOT A320 for the AM4 platform).

Why deactivating Turbo Boost (or running at a low clock generally)? Because the voltage a CPU needs increases with its clock speed. The power consumed increases even more than voltage alone. So for a higher clock speed the electricity consumed increases overproportionally. Therefore I run my CPUs at a low clock speed, because they are more efficient this way. I would rather invest the saved money for electricity in another cruncher, than overclocking the crunchers I have. Saving an expensive cooling solution because cooling is much easier this way, adds further to the savings.

Which clock rate is the best for you, is obviously also dependent on you electricity cost. Where I live cost is high, so I run at a very low clock rate. The optimal choice for you might be different. But any extreme overclock is not a good idea in any case.

Some numbers as an example, my Ryzen 1700 consumes the following power (complete system, no GPU installed, 80+ Gold PSU, measured at the wall):
@ 3 GHz, not undervolted: 104 W
@ 3.5 GHz, undervolted: 105 W
@ 3 GHz, undervolted: 75 W
[Jul 17, 2019 10:16:00 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Speedy51
Veteran Cruncher
New Zealand
Project Badges:

Interesting information thanks. I will not be under vaulting my CPU couple of reasons I don't want to avoid a warranty or risk damaging anything. Out of curiosity since you do do what I am not going to do you know just longer runtimes & are you running Windows or Linux? I will be running Windows 10 Professional.
As I have said in the previous post I will be running for on average 12 hours a day using 23 cores leaving 1 free for my 2070 super GPU. I am guessing my signature will read between 9 and 10 days per calendar day. This is absolutely just a guess

[Jul 18, 2019 9:29:17 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread