Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 18
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2178 times and has 17 replies Next Thread
BobbyB
Veteran Cruncher
Canada
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Connections from Russia are very slow

It's a small one (119 kb)
Which files are you talking about? I see multiple files on the front page which are way to big. The top 3 are enormous. My analysis of
scc_update_child_in_cape is correct. See my first post in this thread.

Did not do the other 2. My eyes confirmed the other 2.

I now come into WCG at the forums and bypass the front page.

Do you have access to the Apache logs?? Check them.

Sgt. Joe:
but at least the connection seems normal as far as speed goes
You don't see the top 3 images on the front page just crawling?
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by BobbyB at Oct 4, 2022 2:55:24 PM]
[Oct 4, 2022 2:52:22 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Falconet
Master Cruncher
Portugal
Project Badges:

Sorry, my post was a bit off-topic. I meant the image in the "sharing" section of the My Contribution page. The one with the woman at the computer. It wasn't really about the size (119 kb) but rather about the space it takes on the page. I feel like that image adds zero to the sharing feature.

AMD Ryzen 5 1600AF 4C/8T 3.2 GHz - 85W
AMD Ryzen 5 2500U 4C/8T 2.0 GHz - 28W
Intel Z3740 4C/4T 1.8 GHz - 6W
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Falconet at Oct 4, 2022 6:54:39 PM]
[Oct 4, 2022 6:54:09 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sgt.Joe
Ace Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Sgt. Joe: but at least the connection seems normal as far as speed goes You don't see the top 3 images on the front page just crawling?

Nope,it actually loads pretty quickly. One of the few things working approximately correctly here.
Cheers
Sgt. Joe
*Minnesota Crunchers*
[Oct 4, 2022 8:15:12 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
BobbyB
Veteran Cruncher
Canada
Project Badges:

It isn't really all that off-topic. The thread is about the slowness of the site (from Russia initially). Your comment is about the space it takes (and thus the size in KiB) and what it adds to the sharing feature. Correct it adds zero as does all that other empty space on the front page. I'm guessing the designers think it looks "cool". It does not. If it were optimised and zipped in (as it should) then maybe....

I mentioned the Apache logs because I thought you were part of the admins.

That woman_at_computer is 119KiB but if reduced in size to 400x400 px it could be 23KiB (it shows up at about 400px on that page and about 638px on another). All images on the site are overweight; some obese.

That max-age of 15 minutes for images is across the site. I picked up the badge image scc1_1_72.png and it is Last-Modified: Wed, 02 Feb 2022 19:02:52 GMT so it has to be dowloaded once on each browser session. This is the same for all the badges and any other little image on the site. All that bloat really adds up in the end. Make that 30 days or more.

It seems today we just throw more CPUs and bandwidth at something to solve any speed problem.

Sgt Joe: you say pretty quickly. So there is a little delay. At the size they show up the 3 should just be instantaneous.
[Edit 4 times, last edit by BobbyB at Oct 5, 2022 3:25:29 AM]
[Oct 4, 2022 8:19:54 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sgt.Joe
Ace Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Sgt Joe: you say pretty quickly. So there is a little delay. At the size they show up the 3 should just be instantaneous.

You are correct, in that it is not instantaneous. They could solve much of the problem if they reverted to the old design (hopefully they kept the code for it.) I liked the old design much better, even after all this time.
Cheers
Sgt. Joe
*Minnesota Crunchers*
[Oct 4, 2022 11:48:11 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
BobbyB
Veteran Cruncher
Canada
Project Badges:

Agreed!
I gave up (female dog ing) complaining about the new front page a long time ago. They will never get it.
[Oct 5, 2022 9:26:03 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
TPCBF
Master Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

You are correct, in that it is not instantaneous. They could solve much of the problem if they reverted to the old design (hopefully they kept the code for it.) I liked the old design much better, even after all this time.
Cheers
You're not the only one. To be honest, they could have "improved" on the styling of the old site a bit, adding a couple of things, but by and large, the old site vast vastly more functional. The "news" on the front page might have been dynamically on the old site as well, but likely not as effected by the underlying database issue (contrary what some people think, I doubt that there is a general "bandwidth" issue, much rather all of this is an issue of accessing the databases underneath of it all, which was kind of confirmed by Christian's ("cubes") email a couple of weeks ago).. And because it is deemed dynamic contents (though it doesn't change in months, practically) neither CDN nor local caching is kicking in and helping in that situation...

Ralf

[Oct 5, 2022 9:48:56 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
TPCBF
Master Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Agreed!
I gave up (female dog ing) complaining about the new front page a long time ago. They will never get it.
For some time, as this happened around the time of the announcement of the move to Krembil, I thought that it was some UX folks at Krembil, who don't know a first thing about WCG, that made those changes to the website. But the more I see how things are going now, I think that this was just some nonsense move by some UX folks at IBM, who just didn't care because the stuff was moving out of their responsibility soon anyway... sad

Ralf

[Oct 5, 2022 9:54:33 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread