Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 6192
Posts: 6192   Pages: 620   [ Previous Page | 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 536413 times and has 6191 replies Next Thread
Sgt.Joe
Ace Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Minnesota Crunchers

Crunching again, just stopped in to say hi!

Stop by more often, we'd love to hear from you.

Cheers
----------------------------------------
Sgt. Joe
*Minnesota Crunchers*
[Nov 24, 2014 11:53:09 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sgt.Joe
Ace Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Some encouraging things happened today. My new front PTO clutch finally arrived. Brand new, never been used. Of course they have not made this part for probably 20 years, so I was lucky to find one. I had to pay about twice what I thought for it, but at least when I installed it, it worked. I can now blow snow again. The one which was worn out was the original ( about 38 years old or so) so I hope this one lasts as long.
The other piece of good news is the USB drive seems to be running just fine on the HP 380DL G5 I obtained. Both the OS and BOINC are installed on it. The only big question now is how long will it last.

Cheers
Sgt. Joe
*Minnesota Crunchers*
[Nov 25, 2014 4:08:52 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sgt.Joe
Ace Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

I hope everyone is having a nice Thanksgiving.

Thanks to everyone for the fine job of crunching in the 10th Birthday challenge. We finished 21st, a fine showing for a small team.

It has been the coldest Thanksgiving day in about 30 years here. -6F (-21C) this morning. High was 19F (-7C) this afternoon.

Cheers
Sgt. Joe
*Minnesota Crunchers*
[Nov 27, 2014 11:31:54 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
mclaver
Veteran Cruncher
Project Badges:

I have not been on this team forum in a long time, but I am still contributing to this team.

I was bored last week so I added a new Intel I-7 5960 which replaced an old AMD 940x (old cpus and MB get donated to my brother). It will be interesting to see how many points that it will produce, for the team. It will be fastest machine on the team, although my Intel I7 4930 was the previous fastest machine on the team. I also have a I7-990 and an I7-980 which rate right up there, as well as many other machines. I currently have 20 machines, all owned by me, all in my house. The slowest now is probably an I7-920.

I currently average 60k - 70k Boinc points per day. All credited to this team. Hope the new machine we keep me consistently over 70k. Too bad WCG is not supporting GPU processing. With GPU processing I hit over 1,000,000 Boinc points once!

[Nov 29, 2014 6:01:59 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sgt.Joe
Ace Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

I have not been on this team forum in a long time, but I am still contributing to this team.

I was bored last week so I added a new Intel I-7 5960 which replaced an old AMD 940x (old cpus and MB get donated to my brother). It will be interesting to see how many points that it will produce, for the team. It will be fastest machine on the team, although my Intel I7 4930 was the previous fastest machine on the team. I also have a I7-990 and an I7-980 which rate right up there, as well as many other machines. I currently have 20 machines, all owned by me, all in my house. The slowest now is probably an I7-920.

I currently average 60k - 70k Boinc points per day. All credited to this team. Hope the new machine we keep me consistently over 70k. Too bad WCG is not supporting GPU processing. With GPU processing I hit over 1,000,000 Boinc points once!

It is nice to see you in the forum once in a while. You do have quite the stable of machines. With that many machines crunching I can only imagine what your electric bill might look like. On the good side I 'll bet all those crunchers help keep your house warm. Keep up the good crunching.
Cheers
Sgt. Joe
*Minnesota Crunchers*
[Nov 29, 2014 10:09:50 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
mclaver
Veteran Cruncher
Project Badges:

Summer electric bill...over $1,000! Last Gas bill $29.75. We do not even turn the heat on until after Halloween.

[Nov 30, 2014 9:22:59 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Bearcat
Master Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Was wondering when someone was going to get that 8 core monster and crunch with it. Been eye balling it for my next build. Let us know how it does. You plan on OCing it? Also looking at the hex cores for a third of the price too. If those high core xeons were not so costly, I would build another dully. A pair of 12 core/24 threads would be sweet. Have to win the lottery but then I would build with the 18 core monsters.
Crunching for humanity since 2007!

[Nov 30, 2014 11:01:09 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sgt.Joe
Ace Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Was wondering when someone was going to get that 8 core monster and crunch with it. Been eye balling it for my next build. Let us know how it does. You plan on OCing it? Also looking at the hex cores for a third of the price too. If those high core xeons were not so costly, I would build another dully. A pair of 12 core/24 threads would be sweet. Have to win the lottery but then I would build with the 18 core monsters.

It would be nice to crunch with top of the line Xeons, but I am pretty please with the set of dual Xeon servers I have. 54xx and 53xx series (Harpertown and Clovertown). I did trade off the older Xeon P4 server for the G5 HP 380DL. I do try to upgrade the chips when the price is right. I am about maxed out on electricity at the moment so if I get a newer machine, the oldest one has to go. I am always keeping my eye out for the next big thing I can get dirt cheap.
I am running the DL380 off of a flash drive which has not quite been problem free. It has spontaneously detached at one point, so I lost about 1/2 day's work there. Another time it would not connect to the local host, so I had to reboot and then lost all of the existing work. For the moment it is crunching well with no problems. I may have to breakdown and get a 2.5 inch HD for it if it continues to to be problematic.
Cheers
Sgt. Joe
*Minnesota Crunchers*
[Dec 1, 2014 1:28:57 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Bearcat
Master Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Nice thing about newer versions of xeons is more energy efficient. Those harpertown and clovertowns processors do suck the juice compared to the newer versions. My westmere dually isn't to bad. Been looking for X5680's (3.33 Ghz) to replace my 2.93's. Around 200 a pop now. Might just leave it alone and wait for the 8 core i7 to drop. My i7 4930k rocks pretty good. When ripping movies, this hex isn't to far behind my westmere dully to complete a rip.

[Dec 1, 2014 2:06:13 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Bearcat
Master Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Summer electric bill...over $1,000! Last Gas bill $29.75. We do not even turn the heat on until after Halloween.

With all those crunchers, would think that would be enough to heat your house. laughing

[Dec 1, 2014 2:08:15 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 6192   Pages: 620   [ Previous Page | 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread