Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 65
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 7991 times and has 64 replies Next Thread
twilyth
Master Cruncher
US
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Why do the graphics for Dengue have to be so political?

Sorry, didn't mean to imply that the african climate graphics where influenced by the controversy. I don't think anyone would believe that a new project would be whipped together in just a week or two.

I just meant that those graphics are more consistent with previous/existing projects and that it is more likely in light of the dddt controversy that future projects will follow that lead.
----------------------------------------

[Sep 9, 2007 5:59:16 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Fred, your points are well argued. However, I feel you are giving too much weight to this. As has been said before, DDDT is the brainchild of US researchers as a US university. They have ties with a local school. Any bias you see is a result of this, and is really perfectly normal. WCG generally try to accommodate the researchers' wishes.

Other projects, run in other countries, have different biases. For example, Help Cure Muscular Dystrophy has strong links to the French Decrypthon charity/telethon.

Twilyth, WCG have not changed the ACH graphics, or implemented any policy. However, they plan to be more cautious in future - this reaction was totally unexpected.

Oh, and Fred - I'm British.
[Sep 9, 2007 6:08:18 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

fred's anti-American posts are clear proof that you can get A grades in spelling and grammar, and a big fat F in logic.

perhaps he invented the internet too.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Sep 9, 2007 7:06:14 PM]
[Sep 9, 2007 7:00:15 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

As has been said before, DDDT is the brainchild of US researchers as a US university. They have ties with a local school. Any bias you see is a result of this, and is really perfectly normal. WCG generally try to accommodate the researchers' wishes.

But I thought that projects run on WCG had to need the computing power and not be in a position to obtain such computing power themselves.

In other words, contributions from WCG should be playing a significant part in allowing the research projects to go ahead at all.

Whilst it may be true to say that...

...DDDT is the brainchild of US researchers as a US university. They have ties with a local school.

... it should also be the case (assuming I'm understanding the terms of WCG correctly) that the next sentence should be something along the lines of....

'But they wouldn't be able to achieve their objective without the collaborative efforts of an international grid of computers brought together via WCG, for their benefit and donated free of charge by individuals from countries and cultures worldwide.

All I'm asking is that this, I hope significant, international contribution to their research be acknowledged and represented as well. If this international contribution from WCG isn't all that significant to them, so much so that they don't feel it worth consideration or recognition when designing their project graphics specifically for pushing to contributors PCs on the grid, then they really shouldn't be running their project on the grid !!!!
[Sep 9, 2007 7:16:15 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
staffann
Cruncher
Project Badges:

It would be nice to have more information about the deceases from outside the US in the screensaver.

I try to contribute to projects that will benefit the developing counties, because that is where the lack of adequate drugs is usually the worst - they cant afford expensive drugs so it brings less revenue to develop drugs against deceases common there. I understand it is probably easier to get info from the CDC about the US than from somewhere about the developing countries, but I', sure at least more info is available than is shown. I also think that the focus should be on the places where the most people are affected be the deceases, and I doubt that is the US or Europe.

I dont have any issue with the info already shown, I just wish some more info could be added in these areas.

[Sep 23, 2007 11:37:50 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread