Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 10
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 878 times and has 9 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
post Calc tables in these forums here List of BOINC in as many languages of the world as possible

Hello everybody,
I tried to post a calc table in this forum here, but it did not work.

When I tried to insert the table, the forum interpreted the table as normal text.

Why do I need the possibility to post a calc table?

Well, I wanted create a list of web Pages (Help and information) forums and
Vikis about BOINC in as many languages of the world as possible.

I wanted to post it in the support and in the feedback forum. In this way I wanted to
make it possible for people who do not understand English or any other major language
to take part in BOINC, too.

To be honest, I just started creating the BOINC language table. It is at the very beginning. But without the technical possibliity to post CALC tables, it is sensless to go on creating the list.

Maybe the next update of the forum could offer the technical possibility to post calc tables?

Thank you in advance
Martin Schnellinger
[Oct 2, 2010 2:46:00 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
pirogue
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:
Re: post Calc tables in these forums here List of BOINC in as many languages of the world as possible

I'm not familiar with the terminology of "calc table", but are you just trying to create a table similar to this?:

heading1 heading2
---------- ------------
data1 data2
data3 data4

You can use the [ code ] [ /code] tags:

(bracket[)code(]bracket)
heading1             heading2
---------- ------------
data1 data2
data3 data4

(bracket[)/code(]bracket)

using only the actual open/close brackets, to align text into columns.

You'll find it easier to assemble the text in notepad or some other editor using a fixed-width font, like Courier. Otherwise, the proportional font in the forum editor will cause hair loss.
----------------------------------------

[Oct 2, 2010 3:44:58 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher
Re: post Calc tables in these forums here List of BOINC in as many languages of the world as possible

You wont even need to remember the BBcode (Bulletin Board code) as the writing area has a set of buttons above it. In the case of a table, paste the table as normal, then select that table again and hit the Code button. The alignment is not always 100%, so sometimes a space needs inserting or removing in the appropriate place.

In Firefox I'm using the "Text Formatting Toolbar" addon (works through 3.6.10 forcing an override install). You can use that to put the code in same as the WCG forum buttons, which then also functions in the QuickReply box. This addon allows quick switching to insert the appropriate code for Wiki, HTML and BBcode and has many more text formatting options such as aligning, bullit points list creation etc. Some of them do not work at WCG, because the forum software at WCG does not have these.

edit: spelling
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Sekerob at Oct 2, 2010 6:44:05 AM]
[Oct 2, 2010 6:21:11 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Hello Sekerob,
thank you for the answer. Got no time to try it out right now, but later I will.
Greetings
Martin
[Oct 2, 2010 6:36:28 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

[ bracket] bla bla bla [bracket]

[Oct 3, 2010 9:10:18 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

[Oct 3, 2010 9:10:48 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Hello,
I read a view things about BBCode (Bulletin Board Code)
As I understood, BBCode does not allow to build lists with more than one column,
Therefore, I have to give up the plan.
Greetings
Martin
(If I could I would prevent this tag from going up in the list, but it is not possible
I just added this information on how the thing ended, to make the tag complete, in a way)
[Oct 3, 2010 9:23:09 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

Martin,

Don't follow, [bracket] is not the bbcode valid on WCG, it's [ code] (sans space inside the square brackets). If you do a Quote reply on piroque's post you see the format where it's display with 3 columns. Works most of the time. [ list] as in an automated multicolumn bullet pointed tables, is not possible in this forum software, so most (me) use the copy paste from for instance a spreadsheet and encapsulate in [ code] to maintain the column alignment, sometimes needing insert remove of spaces for the finishing touch. This post http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg/...29975_lastpage,yes#297525 has an example of how that looks.

On top of the Text Formatting Toolbar, I often use the Firefox "It's all Text" addon. A little button "edit" appears bottom right of the writing area, and if clicked opens the post text in your favored Wordpad (notepad, gedit, whatever defined) or when right clicked asks in what format the text should be edited in inside the editor such as css, html, txt, xml etc. When then in the editor hitting the save button, the text is copied back into the forum post writing area.

cheers
[Oct 3, 2010 9:54:32 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Hello Sekerob,
ok, I will try too explain the problem in a diffrent way, as good as I can.

What I really want to do is insert a calc spreadsheet.

CALC is the quite popular open office programm to work with spreadsheets.

It is the open office equivalent to Microsofts EXCEL.

Please have a look at http://www.openoffice.org/product/calc.html.

In the rows of the calc spreadsheet I would like to write various languages
(German, English, Portugese, Italian) and the www pages where you can find
information and help about BOINC and WCG.

Please try to give me an answer again.
Thank you
Martin
[Oct 3, 2010 3:00:32 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

OK, cannot be done. What you can is turn the table into an image like SNURK does with the sigs. Images in posts update.

I've got OO on Windows and Linux... just very rarely use... some of the X-Mas/Easter Bunny challenge sheets I've published might still be lurking on the forums with conditional formatting and other bells.
[Oct 3, 2010 3:13:41 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread